Saturday, March 22, 2003

Family
No more than 48 hours ago I got a raft of crap from the wife of someone in the military who seems to be in Iraq. She is of the opinion that any opposition to this insane war is a personal affront to her and her husband and that any humor is at her personal expense. She also seemed to think that the fact that her spouse is in the military means that everyone should walk on eggshells around her.

I do not agree. But the notion of protest being patriotic is lost on many people.

It is not, however, lost on Michael Watersbey, the father of a dead Marine from Baltimore. His story has been all over my local television news. He has declined to mouth the parental platitudes so common in these situations. Rather he gets in the face of the photographer holding a picture of his son close to the lens and half shouts, half sobs "I want President Bush to get a good look at this, really good look here. This is the only son I had -- only son."

He gave his only son for his country. I dare you to say he isn't a patriot.

No comments: