Friday, May 02, 2003

In the Cold Light of Morning
I wonder if Mr. Bush thinks he is the divine or whether he just doesn't undertand his bible. His quote last night of "To the captives, come out; and to those in darkness, be free" in fact refers to divine action, not that of a president of the U.S. Check out Isiah 49:8-13. Here is a version from the JPS 1917 version:


8 Thus saith the LORD: In an acceptable time have I answered thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee; and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to raise up the land, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages; 9 Saying to the prisoners: 'Go forth'; to them that are in darkness: 'Show yourselves'; they shall feed in the ways, and in all high hills shall be their pasture; 10 They shall not hunger nor thirst, neither shall the heat nor sun smite them; for He that hath compassion on them will lead them, even by the springs of water will He guide them. 11 And I will make all My mountains a way, and My highways shall be raised on high. 12 Behold, these shall come from far; and, lo, these from the north and from the west, and these from the land of Sinim. 13 Sing, O heavens, and be joyful, O earth, and break forth into singing, O mountains; for the LORD hath comforted His people, and hath compassion upon His afflicted


Of course when I went on the web looking for different translations I found the Bush version quoted out of context by a great many web sites. The consensus among many of the Christian sites, however, is that Jesus was put on earth to set those captives free.

Is the President facing some kind of a psychological crisis wherein he isn't quite clear about the distinction between the job of President of the United States and a messiah? Perhaps someone with training or knowledge in this area can help me out.

No comments: