Friday, May 09, 2003

The Rose Garden
Our President is at this very moment making a speech from the rose garden about the need for an independent judiciary. Apparently he is mighty annoyed that he cannot control the Senate rules. After he spoke of "well qualified nominees" he told Mr. Ashcroft what a fine job he is doing and wished him a happy birthday. Send cards folks.

He, our President, says he nominated highly qualified mainstream nominees. He says has sent 42 "superb" nominees for the Court of Appeals. He refers to them as "my nominees." Man, this makes me nuts. I know he is disingenuous, but I always wonder how much of this he believes. And if it is any, whether he is delusional or dumber than dirt or both.

He has his serious hawk face on, apparently attempting to intimidate the viewers just like he did the French. And apparently he has totally forgotten ALL OF THE CLINTON NOMINEES WHO WERE PUT ON HOLD. Whew. Sorry. I lost my head. And he keeps using the word "filibuster" as if he just had a taste of rotten fish. He gets amazingly unattractive when he is pissy.

And he keeps lecturing the Senate on their constitutional responsibility. He actually talked about the constitutional plan of a separate and independent judicial branch. I am shocked to find that he has some knowledge of the notion of separation of powers. Now that I know he is familiar with the concept I will hold him to it.

I think I'm in Oz. Frank Baum's, not he HBO series. This whole thing is just too distasteful.

Update: E.J.Dionne in today's Washington Post tells the rest of the story.

No comments: