Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Compassionate Conservatism
and stupid, too. My Local Paper has a piece today about efforts by the Bush administration to outsource food service work currently performed by mentally retarded workers. The notion of firing these folks who will then end up on public assistance so that some private sector firm can earn a few extra bucks is just swell.

" James Eastridge, 38, another former Rock Terrace student, has worked in the kitchen for 22 years. That is long enough for him to earn several promotions and enough money to buy a house in Hagerstown, where he lives with his parents.

"I started out when I was 16 years old and just kept on working; the years just flew by," he said. "I hope we get to keep the jobs. When I was in school, I was pretty wild. They got me in the job . . . and I've been doing good ever since I've been here."

*sigh*

No comments: