Thursday, December 25, 2003

Happy Festivus
or whatever you do.

I've been avoiding the news.

I entered my workplace this week fully expecting the full cavity search that usually accompanies Code Orange. For those of you who are new, or who don't remember, I work in Washington D.C., in the middle of the Heart of Darkness. Well instead of the usual 20 minutes to get into the building, they are just as cavalier as usual. Maybe the new anti-aircraft batteries and surface-to-air missiles newly stationed around Our Nation's Capital are making everybody feel warm and cozy and safe.

The News keeps telling me to go shopping but to be careful. Am I supposed to report people carrying packages? Gonna be particularly difficult for folks to return their inappropriate gifts tomorrow.

And after cancelling six Air France flights, "checks by French intelligence on passenger lists turned up no terror links on any of six cancelled Air France flights." But we all know how untrustworthy those French are. I'd wager before the end of the year we'll be hearing suggestions that we should invade France and bring proper religion to that increasingly secular place. Won't they learn who is really in charge?

No comments: