Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I Haven't Abandoned You

my lovely guests. I've just been too angry to post. You all know that I'm not about the hatin', so I've been trying to shake my rage. But it isn't working. If anything, it is getting worse.

I had a moment or two of optimism when I attended a Cindy Sheehan vigil last week. I was struck by the overwhelming ordinaryness of the attendees, all ages, all colors, all classes. Just sincere Americans worried about what is going on. It was good to feel a little less alone for a while.

But The Uglies are everywhere I look. An American radical cleric calls for assassination. And then lies about it. I shouldn't be shocked or even surprised, but I am.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars applauds Our President's call to "stay the course." As a Vietnam veteran said to me this morning, they should know better. They were there. But that's not all. The national commander of the American Legion opposes free speech, saying
"The American Legion will stand against anyone and any group that would demoralize our troops, or worse, endanger their lives by encouraging terrorists to continue their cowardly attacks against freedom-loving peoples."
These are the same people who always claim that their service is the source of our freedoms. Backwards world again.

And now I hear that the Pentagon is sending 1500 more troops to Iraq. I suppose when folks keep dying, they need to replenish the supply. I hope the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars get on board and start lobbying the Congress for enforcement of the Americans With Disabilities Act because all of those maimed young people are going to need a lifetime of accommodation with their artificial limbs and wheelchairs.

It is way beyond time the 'leaders' of the loyal opposition step up to the plate and say what the rank and file are saying -- it is time to bring the troops home. We lost the war. Shock and awe for a week wasn't enough. And if Our President can't stand the personal knowledge of defeat, let him declare victory and bring the troops home. Now.

No comments: