Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Political News, Bad and Good

The Bad

We, or they, have a Nazi Pope. He was a member of the Hitler Youth and claims that membership was compulsory, although others were not members. The nouveau biographies prominently mention that "But he was never a member of the Nazi party and his family opposed Adolf Hitler's regime." Splitting hairs. This gives me no comfort. Nor am I comforted by George Bush's observations about his great wisdom. I am, however, comforted by his age. At 78 he won't be around as long as his predecessor.

However I am entranced by the opportunity to watch the best politicians in the world operate. Of course they never work in public, but when change occurs we have the opportunity to get glimpses of how it works. The Democrats could learn a thing or two from the Vatican. Not to mention the Borgias.

The Good

What a surprise this is. John Bolton is stuck in committee. Richard Lugar was ready to vote and get his nomination out of committee when, Bless his Republican heart, George Voinovich said "I've heard enough today that I don't feel comfortable about voting for Mr. Bolton." Whoa!! Instead of a party line 10-8 vote the committee is locked 9-9. And the vote posponed until after a recess, at least three weeks.

And Chuck Hagel, said he would vote to send Bolton's nomination to the full Senate, "but that does not mean I will support his nomination on the floor," he said. "I think these charges are serious enough that they demand further investigation, but I think in the interest of timeliness ... we should move this out today."

The hearing was closed with a series of written questions on their way to the State Department. Mr. Lugar agreed to the possibility that Mr. Bolton would return for more questioning in May.

How can I resist The Ugly?

Tom DeLay

No comments: