Saturday, February 09, 2008

The World's Least Elegant Food


Meatloaf.

They are threatening an incoming cold wave with the added menace of an ice storm. Meatloaf, a food for which I have an unnatural fondness, is perfect. I have procured some ground sirloin and ground pork from the Pennsylvania Dutch market. They grow their own free of all those nasty things one finds in factory farmed beasts.

I have made many a meatloaf in my time, but I went scanning for new twists, recipes, and the like and stumbled upon National Meatloaf Appreciation Day which, unfortunately, is in October. However this event served as the genesis for a great deal of meatloaf innovation. If you are an adventurous sort, you might scan the temptingbison meatloaf with shallots or the meatloaf made with ground beef and hot italian sausage and stuffed with a ricotta, goat cheese, and fresh herb filling.

I'll stick with my basic made-a-million-times meatloaf with the possible addition of a bit of chipotle adobo. After all, what is a comfort food if it isn't familiar. I think I'll try one twist though. Someone suggested baking the loaf on a sheet pan for more crust. That is very appealing.

Cook on!
(Photo from Luna Pier Cook)

2 comments:

Dave said...

Hey! 'Dat's my meatloaf!! ;-) It's also good a day later, chilled, in a sandwich with Hellmann's, some provolone, and not much else. The pickles are what make it as good as it is. Thanks for the holler!

Anonymous said...

I'll pass on the provolone. I like my cold meatloaf sandwiches on rye toast with Hellmann's. Food. Of the gods.